Sunday, October 3, 2010

31 for 21: Day 3



I wish I had something interesting to write about, but it was quite an uneventful weekend. Austin and I went to a doctor appointment on Friday (for me). After the appointment we went shopping. Austin loves to stroll and look around at everything. We always enjoy going to the mall! I could probably spend a small fortune on baby clothes. I constantly have to remind myself that he’ll outgrow what I’m looking at in a month or so before deciding to buy it.




Okay, time for another fact about Down syndrome.



You’re so young. I thought only “older” women had babies with Down syndrome?
In my case, age isn’t relevant. In most cases of Down syndrome, age isn't relevant.

How can that be?
Researchers have established that the likelihood that a reproductive cell will contain an extra copy of chromosome 21 increases dramatically as a woman ages. Therefore, an older mother is more likely than a younger mother to have a baby with Down syndrome. However, of the total population, older mothers have fewer babies; about 75% of babies with Down syndrome are born to younger women because more younger women than older women have babies. Make sense?


Furthermore, Austin has a rare form of Down syndrome due to the fact that my husband is a balanced carrier. I will elaborate on the different forms of Down syndrome/Trisomy 21 in an upcoming post.

More tomorrow. :)


Blessings,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment