Thursday, May 19, 2011

MRI, Take 3

Austin will be having a MRI tomorrow morning. I’m hoping Children’s Medical Center will have their stuff (yes, I thought of the other not so nice word when I wrote that) together this time.

We’ve had a busy week…which is pretty much how every week is around here. But this week was especially hectic because Austin was sick. He had a high fever on Monday night and of course, it was exactly 5:00 on the dot when I took his temp. Doctor’s office was closed and I didn’t want to chance anything serious being wrong. We took Austin to the ER only to find out that other than swollen lymph nodes, everything looked well. We followed up with Dr. C the next day and it’s a good thing we did because she diagnosed Austin with Fifth Disease. It’s just a fancy name for a mild viral infection. Due to the fact that Austin ALWAYS has red cheeks, it wasn’t exactly alarming to us that his cheeks were a little more red than normal. Fifth Disease is a very common childhood illness and after the child develops the red checks and rash, he/she is no longer contagious. The rash is very mild and doesn’t seem to bother him. He’s feeling so much better, thank GOD!


Austin is kicking butt in Physical Therapy. A few weeks ago, his Physical Therapist said that she thinks he’ll be walking by the end of Summer/early Fall. This week at therapy, she changed her prediction…she thinks he’ll be walking BEFORE the end of summer. Speaking of walking…Austin will get his Sure Steps that he was fitted for last month on Monday. I cannot wait to see how much they help him!




We’ve been so blessed to have such an awesome Physical Therapist. She’s very proactive, which we love! She’s exactly what Austin needed. We also have another amazing Speech Pathologist/Oral Motor therapist. Austin loves to eat all sorts of foods for her, but when we get home…he wants nothing to do with it. He’s such a little stinker. I asked her about Speech Therapy and when we should begin. Her reply was, “RIGHT NOW.” This Mommy LOVES and ADORES proactive therapists!! ( I should really have T-shirts made with that exact statement) ECI gave me a completely different answer when I asked about Speech a few months ago. I don’t want this to turn into a “let’s bash ECI” kind of thing. I appreciate ECI, but Austin’s progress with private therapy speaks for itself. We love the place we take Austin to therapy for so much that we’re going to begin Occupational Therapy there, as well.


We had our last Mommy and Me class on Wednesday. There’s a summer break and M&M will resume again in September. I feel like I’ve grown as a person so much just by going to M&M. We(the moms) all face the same challenges…and when you have a baby or toddler with Down syndrome, there is so much “unknown” when it comes to the future. No one can really tell you how it’s going to be when they begin school. Will they do this? Will they do that? It just goes to show you that children with Down syndrome are NOT all the same. In fact, they are very unique and different individuals. I’m so glad that I’m involved with The Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas and thankful for resources like Mommy and Me. Austin and I have made some amazing friends through M&M. It’s just so nice to be around people who are going through the same things you are. Who needs therapy when you have Mommy and Me?



Austin wouldn’t leave my side for the first month of Mommy and Me. Over time, he ventured out and started to play with the other kids. On our last day of Mommy and Me this Wednesday, he made a point NOT to sit by me. He wanted to do his own thing. It’s such a good feeling to know that he’s confident enough to do that , but it also stung a little because it’s another reminder that my baby isn’t really a baby anymore.




The past month has been very trying in so many ways...full of tears and fears. I trust that God has big plans…I just wish he’d unveil them NOW! But it isn’t about “our time”…it’s all in God’s time and his timing is always perfect. Ryan getting laid off was devastating to our family financially, but some how…we’re making it work (by the grace of God.) A little less of this and that…juggling things around. It all works out…some how God makes a way. I’m thankful for that. It might be stressful, but it’s also strengthening our Faith. Austin no longer has crazy separation anxiety now that Ryan’s been home. In fact, he’s become quite the ‘daddy’s boy.’ It’s a great feeling to know that Ryan can comfort him when I’m not there. And it’s also nice that I can leave the house for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Ryan shines as a father and I’ve really been reminded of that during the past month. I’m so lucky to have married such an amazing man. He’s so patient and ‘hands on’ with Austin. I love watching them together.


We have to get up extra early for the MRI in the morning, so I’m going to bring this to an end. I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Blessings,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment