Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Things That Make You Go Hmmmm

There’s talk of a new blood test that can determine if a baby has Down syndrome prior to birth. It’s obviously less invasive than an amniocentesis or CVS. A lot of women will probably want this test. I can see where this test would be useful and a lot safer than other forms of testing, which are often quite invasive and risky. At the same time, are people with Down syndrome going to disappear completely if this test becomes routine for pregnant women? 90% + of babies diagnosed with Down syndrome while in the womb are aborted.

I’m not a political person at all. However, I find it interesting that Texas Governor, Rick Perry is proposing that all women whom get abortions must have an ultrasound first and hear the baby’s heartbeat. Even though Rick Perry is an Aggie, I don’t really care much for him. However, this makes me wonder…will it change the minds of women whom already have a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome and are thinking about terminating? Better yet, send them to spend a day with me or some of my friends whom also have a child with Down syndrome so they can see how “normal” our lives really are. Yes, there are more doctor appointments and our children meet milestones in their own time…but they DO meet them. Best of all, we feel blessed(and GRATEFUL) to have these “imperfect” children. They aren’t imperfect to us though. And they certainly aren’t imperfect in the eyes of God.

I see tons of children when I’m grocery shopping and out in public. During the past year, I can count on ONE hand how many of those children had Down syndrome(not counting the Buddy Walk ;-) ). It’s true, Down syndrome is the most common Genetic Disorder…but it seems so rare when you think about it. I read an article a few months back about how Down syndrome isn’t uncommon in Ireland because abortion is illegal there. In other words, kids grow up around other kids with and without Down syndrome.

I’m not trying to spark a pro-life vs. pro-choice debate. God didn’t put me on this earth to judge others. It’s not my place.

Here’s part of an article I read today, written by Kurt Kondrich, father of Chloe, a beautiful little girl with Down syndrome.

"In the fictional novel The Clowns of God by Morris West, Jesus comes back to earth, and some people think it’s Him while some don’t. At one point, Jesus is at a school for children with Down syndrome, and He is holding a little girl. Jesus says:


I know what you are thinking. You need a sign. What better one could I give but to make this little one whole and new? I could do it, but I will not. I am the Lord and not a conjurer. I gave this mite a gift I denied to all of you — eternal innocence. To you she looks imperfect — but to me she is flawless, like the bud that dies unopened or the fledgling that falls from the nest to be devoured by ants. She will never offend me, as all of you have done. She will never pervert or destroy the work of my Father’s hands. She is necessary to you. She will evoke the kindness that will keep you human. Her infirmity will prompt you to gratitude for your own good fortune… More! She will remind you every day that I am who I am, that my ways are not yours, and that the smallest dust mite whirled in the darkest spaces does not fall out of my hand… I have chosen you. You have not chosen me. This little one is my sign to you. Treasure her!


After spending years on the streets as a Police Officer and witnessing how the devil quickly invades and corrupts people, it is priceless to be in the presence of a soul that cannot be compromised. This must make the devil absolutely consumed with rage, and I believe that is why he is using the ungodly instrument of abortion to eliminate these precious individuals before they arrive in the world to spread unimpeded light and love. Nothing must make the devil madder than an incorruptible soul especially when so many in the world have willingly followed his path of lies and deception (Matthew 7:13-14: “Wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life and only a few find it”)."

You can read the full article here:
http://catholicexchange.com/2011/01/24/146535/

1 comment:

  1. Absolutly beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing, I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete