Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Year To Remember

Christmas has come and gone…I hope all of you had a blessed Christmas! 2010 has been the best ( and most eventful) year of my life. God gave me the most precious gift, ever; we are so blessed to have Austin. 2010 has also had its share of challenges. The term “Down syndrome” once frightened me and I tried desperately to block it out of my mind. I wasn’t sure that I was capable of raising a child with special needs. I spent a lot of time asking God, “why me?” I’m thankful those doubts no longer consume my thoughts. God has given me this amazing strength and I wish I had the words to describe it. I was scared because I knew very little about Down syndrome when we received the diagnosis. It actually fascinates me that Austin has such an incredibly rare form of Down syndrome. I know that’s probably hard for anyone else to understand, but it just reminds he was no accident. He was meant to be…just the way he is. When our Genetic Doctor (who has over 30 years experience) told us he couldn’t recall the last time he saw a case of Down syndrome like Austin’s, I just knew that was God’s way of telling me, “I told you so! I told you he’ll do great things. I told you he was special.” From that moment on, my doubts greatly diminished.
"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life."
-1 Samuel 1:27-28
Austin had a great 1st Christmas! I’m pretty sure he was more interested in tearing the wrapping paper and playing with the bows. I think I was more excited to “test out” his news toys than he was.






Want to see Austin’s BEST present? (Thank you, Nana)

Oh yeah. Check out this bad boy!

I’ve always found it interesting how they try to give these devices a sugar coated name such as: “bulb” or “Nasal Aspirator.” My husband even came home with an electric Nasal Aspirator when Austin was 3 months old because we were desperate. They all do the same thing…suck out snot. Why not call it what it is? A SNOT SUCKER. That’s exactly what this handy device is called. It’s been recommended by countless moms. I was desperate because Austin has had awful nasal congestion for weeks! The regular bulb irritates his little nasal passages like crazy and it has about a 50/50 success rate to begin with. The Snot Sucker aka “Nosefrida” is truly a brilliant invention that works well and doesn’t irritate the nasal passages. Also, Austin doesn’t seem to be as bothered by the snot sucker. It’s made in Sweden and they definitely know what they’re doing! I’m pretty sure the entire neighborhood could hear Austin's screams each time I pulled out that evil “bulb.” I’m happy to say he doesn’t scream when we use the snot sucker. Best of all, it works! It just might be Best $15.00 you’ll ever spend on Amazon.com. Just don’t forget to purchase the filters( no worries, they’re cheap.) I don’t usually review baby items on my blog because let’s be honest, you may not have my glorious experience and vice versa. However, this particular item is far too awesome for me not to tell you about!
Yes, he's STANDING! So...the storage ottoman isn't just for his toys.

Austin turned 10 months old last Friday. I know I say this every month, but where has the time gone? I need to begin planning his 1st birthday…because those 2 months will surely fly by. Austin went to the doctor yesterday because I was concerned about his nasal congestion and feared he may have another ear infection. Thank God his ears looked great, but Dr. C did start him on a prescription nasal spray. We used it today and both Ryan and I noticed a difference. We’re praying it continues to give him relief! He weighed a whopping 18 pounds and 13 ounces at the doctor yesterday. He has a mere 3 pounds until he reaches the weight limit of his infant car seat. Looks like we’ll be in the market for a convertible car seat in a few weeks. This is yet another reminder that my baby is growing too fast.



May the new year bring each of you many blessings. I’ll be back to update in 2011!

-K

1 comment:

  1. Ok - that is so weird - you know how when you hear about something for the first time and then you start seeing it everywhere??? Well, when we went to the dr the other day, the nurse recommended the nose frida, and then I read this - weird! I can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete