Friday, December 3, 2010

A Busy Week

It’s been quite an eventful week. In the past 72 hours we’ve visited the Ear, Nose and Throat(ENT) doctor and the Pediatric Optometrist. The ENT doctor recommended tubes for Austin’s ears and removal of his adenoids. I trust his recommendation and feel Austin will benefit greatly. The surgery will have to wait until 2011 because we have to get through his urology surgery next week. Sadly, he’ll have to suffer with deep nasal congestion until then. Austin wakes up numerous times during the night because he cannot breathe. We have to endure the daunting task of using the saline and attempting to suction his nose, which is an all too familiar event.


On occasion, Austin’s right eye moves rapidly left to right. We visited the Pediatric Optometrist and he determined that Austin’s eyes look “great.” However, he ordered an MRI "just to be safe." What is the eye doctor looking for? Well, nothing specific. He basically wants to rule out anything serious. I feel good about this. Unfortunately, Austin will have to go under anesthesia for the MRI because he (obviously) cannot remain still during the procedure.
Tubes and adenoid removal is not what I would consider “major” surgery. The fact that Austin will have to go under anesthesia(again) greatly bothers me. Also, if he has the MRI before he’s 1...he will have been under anesthesia 4 times before his 1st birthday. Yes, it’s stressful. Yes, I get scared. Dwelling on it won’t solve anything. My faith has taught me that we should never doubt God’s love for us. He is in control and he always uses this for the good of those whom love him. Faith is trust and I choose to trust in the Lord with all my heart.

"God is faithful," Paul tells us. "He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear"
-1 Corinthians 10:13.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful"
- Hebrews 10:23
Therapy went well on Thursday. Austin continues to make progress and we’re so proud. At the same time, there are delays. Apparently, he should be past the “swim” and “fly” (see picture above) movements when he’s on his tummy. What do you know? Ryan and I think it’s adorable. He’s been doing it for about a month or so. I still think it’s cute. As far as delays go, I've come to the following conclusion: So what if Austin doesn't walk until he's 18 months or 2 years old? Once he takes off he probably won't want much to do with me, so I'll hold on to my baby and cherish our time together before he takes off.

Before I had Austin, I had all these plans for my future children. “I’m going to teach them this, they will read that, we will work on that…“ After all, I majored in Early Childhood Education. I have several tricks up my sleeve when it comes to teaching. I loved making learning “fun” for my students. Just as I was feeling so confident that my teaching abilities would come into play with my own child….BAM! None of that matters anymore. I never thought I’d be learning sign language in order to teach my own child how to sign. I never thought I’d be researching toys for children with special needs. I’m learning new things every day. I feel like I’m a student again. And you know what? I wouldn’t have it any other way. Motherhood definitely isn't what I thought it would be. It's different, but IT’S BETTER than anything I could‘ve ever imagined. We have a different kind of perfect around here.
Blessings,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment