Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Life Worth Living

It’s been a crazy week at our house. Austin has yet another ear infection. It’s so difficult to tell when he’s sick because he’s such a happy baby. He would scream for about an hour on and off, but would be fine after that. I figured it was his teeth because he was still sleeping through the night and wasn’t running a fever. Mommy was wrong and being the extreme perfectionist Super Mom that I am, I feel awful for not knowing. The good news is: after a Rocephin shot and numbing ear drops, Austin is feeling MUCH better. My little man is so tough. I’d like to take credit and say he got this trait from me. But I think we all know he inherited his “toughness” from his Daddy.
As of lately, It’s been weighing on both mine and Ryan’s mind about the 90% termination rate for prenatal diagnosed cases of Down syndrome. Please understand that we aren’t here to judge...that's not our job. We were scared too and we didn’t have an actual prenatal diagnosis. Rather, we just had the knowledge that there was an increased risk. More than anything, we feel sorry for those whom have chosen to abort their unborn babies due to the presence of the extra 21st chromosome. They’re missing out on so, so much. Each and every time I look at Austin, hear him giggle or see him smile…I’m reminded of how much God has blessed us. I just wish parents with a prenatal diagnosis would do extensive research on Down syndrome before choosing termination. I wish they’d go to babycenter.com and talk to the other moms of children with Down syndrome. I wish they would see that our lives didn’t end when Down syndrome made its entrance. I wish they’d see that our children have lives that are WORTH LIVING.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
- Romans 8:28

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness that last picture is over the top cute!!!! I also agree with you....any parent who is faced with that decision should just come by and read our blogs....I have a feeling if they did that 90% would shrink....or at least I hope it would! :)

    ReplyDelete